Sunday, February 8, 2009

Wright State, Teams I wouldn't want to face

Let's be honest. Wright State got creamed over the weekend against Butler. I don't think Butler is 20 points better than Wright State, but they certainly are better in all aspects of the game. I kind of thought Butler would win by 7-10 points. Wright State has probably played it's worst two halves of the year against Butler, and I think Butler has probably played it's two best halves of the year against the Raiders.

For the Raiders to have success down the stretch a few things are going to have happen in my opinion. In no particular order

1)Corey Cooperwood has to establish a low post game. I've thought all year that he is capable of scoring down low, but for some reason the Raiders don't make it a focus. Sometimes I think some of our low post guys have more potential to score then we've given them credit for. There's no one prolific, but the Raiders rarely even try to feed it to Cooperwood, Thomas, Horne, etc.

2) Scott Grote needs to play a lot and play well. Grote is finally turning into the player many of us thought. Grote's emergence has been surprising and encouraging. I'll be honest. I thought Grote was terrible in the beginning of the year. He didn't look like he belonged at the D1 level. But he is a crafty offensive player. I think he could be very big for the Raiders the rest of this year.

3) N'Gai Evans has to hit some outside shots, and Will Graham has to develop a Vernard Hollins attitude of taking the ball to the basket aggresively. Some people think Graham should like never shoot. I actually kind of think he needs to be more aggressive. His career is almost over. I think he needs to take a commando attitude and start becoming more aggresive mainly by taking the ball to the rack.

A few thoughts on a few mid-major teams I wouldn't want to play in the NCAA tournament.

1) Butler-They have the ability to just destroy you if they are shooting well. Then you have to consider that they win even when they don't shoot well because they also play great defense. They will be a tough out for anyone in the NCAA tournament. This team is deep, and Gordon Hayward has NBA potential in my opinion after 4 years at Butler.

2) Miami of Ohio-They lost their PG in Kenny Hayes. I thought they would fall off the map a bit after this, but after a few stumbles they are quietly having a very good season. Michael Bramos could start for anyone in the Midwest, Tyler Dierkers is solid and they always play great defense.

3) Utah State-I don't know a whole lot about them honestly! But they are a solid program who has made the NCAA tournament a fair amount of times. I think if they get in this time (and with just 1 loss so far it looks like they are a lock), they'll beat someone. Great defensive team, and a good program maybe ready to take that next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment