Sunday, February 8, 2009

Welcome to The Peach Basket

Welcome to The Peach Basket! I love College Basketball to the core. Growing up, my first love in college hoops was the Xavier Musketeers. Then it was the Cincinnati Bearcats. Yes I was probably a bit of a front runner but was a kid at the time when Xavier went to the Sweet 16 in the late 80s...and I was still a kid when Bob Huggins took over at UC and took the Bearcats on a glorious run to the Final 4 (1992 I believe it was).

Fast forward to the year 2000 (in the yeaarrr 2000! Conan Obrien joke). I became a student at Wright State University. Rewind a little bit. I had been to a few Wright State games before becoming a student. I remember the great Keion Brooks dominating Chicago State. But the most memorable game that I attended was of course when #7 ranked Michigan State came to the Nutter Center and were handed a loss by the Israel Sheinfeld-led Raiders! Michigan State went on to win the National Championship that year.

Ok, fast forward again. For some reason it took 4 years for me to get involved in the radio station at Wright State, but finally in my 4th year at Wright State I got involved (I graduated in 5 years. I red-shirted either my freshman or sophomore year. I'm not really sure which one I'd consider my redshirt year.)

I did some weekly radio shows which I really enjoyed, but my favorite part of volunteering at WWSU was being able to participate in broadcasts for both the women's and men's basketball teams. I was able to try a little of everything...play-by-play, color commentating, and producing pregame, halftime, and postgame shows. It was really fun, and increased my love of Wright State basketball.

As far as other experience that I have involving the game of basketball...
1) Averaged 3 ppg as the starting center for my 9th grade basketball team (Central Bucs)
2) Several double doubles in local pickup games at Fairgrounds Park over the years
3) Have watched hundreds of hours of basketball over the years on television

...I love basketball, especially College Basketball.

There will be a couple main focuses to this blog

1) Wright State..."we must do our alma mater"
2) The Horizon League
3) College Hoops in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Midwest...Dayton,UC, Xavier, Ohio State, UK, Louisville, Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue
4) Mid-major hoops
5) The National Landscape, Top 25 Hoops

There will be more of a local focus, but I'll branch out all over the country.

It's getting to that exciting part of the year when the men are separated from the boys. But even with that, the boys still have a chance to become men by winning their conference tournaments.

If you've come to this blog, I hope that you enjoy my random thoughts, and feel free to comment. I'd love to hear some feedback. I'm hoping to stick with this and write often and hopefully provide some entertainment and insight into the madness that is College Hoops.

In closing my first blog, I'd like to propose to the powers that be an annual "Old Timers" game in D1 hoops between like Princeton and Brown where actual Peachbaskets are used, no dunks are allowed, and free throws must be shot under-handed.

No comments:

Post a Comment